Saturday, December 20, 2014

Legend of Korra thoughts

Because I'm an academic, I ruin everything good. But I'll try not to do it too much in this post.

But first, the cool stuff. The end of the series finale of Korra:



Vanity Fair has an awesome article about it too. For people who aren't entirely straight, this is a huge deal. This is NICKELODEON, for crying out loud. This isn't an adult show where sexuality has been much more explored. This is a CARTOON. The Korrasami subreddit is going crazy.

Avatar and Korra have toed the line in terms of portraying characters that do not look like the typical Hollywood white-washed protagonist. However, if you look at their cast and creator, you'll notice that it's a bit lacking in... diversity:



On some level, this bothers me a bit, since people of color need these jobs too. But then again, the impact of having the visual representation of characters as diverse as Avatar and Korra show, I feel, is greater than who is behind the voice. Racebending has a short thread about this that I feel explains this a lot - the fact that the voice industry is quite small, and there simply aren't that many good voice actors available. The nice thing is, unless you are a HUGE fan, you probably won't look into the voice actors all that much, so the means to an end, in this case, one could argue, may be ok.

Just something I wanted to voice (heh heh heh). I was also surprised that there weren't that many articles about this topic. It was something I thought Angry Asian Man or Jezebel would be all over...

No comments: