Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Road Trip

My road trip came to a conclusion on Monday night, where I got back just in time to stop by a Memorial Day BBQ that Jenny's co-resident hosted.

Two days driving through the Redwoods was pretty spectacular. Sunday, the other Cynthia threw a small dinner party in honor of the fact that I was in town, and we looked through her boudoir photos - basically glamour shots for adults. Stephanie and I were reduced to 12 year old boys. But, it did make me consider getting it done too. After all, when you're 80, and you pull out these scantily-clad pictures of you posing sexily for the camera... that's got to be a hoot. 

My cousin, who I met up with in Sacramento for a 3-hour brunch, asked if driving by myself was boring. No, I responded. It gives me time to think. You aren't obligated to answer emails, phone calls, texts. After all, getting to your destination alive is much more important. Or so we should hope.

Memorial Day traffic was at its ragiest though. So much traffic. It took a long time to get out of the SF vicinity, and the rest stops and gas stations on the way down were chock full of families with the need to relinquish liquids. I waited 20 minutes in 100 degree temperature to use a bathroom outside a gas station. This has never happened before. Note to self: Avoid roadtripping long weekends.

Otherwise, it was a relatively painless drive down. Taking four days to drive from Seattle is definitely a good amount of time - just enough so that you can take your time a bit, make some stops, see the scenery. We often forget that Sacramento is really in the middle of California, and Northern California is covered with forest and very big trees. And some lagoons. Highly recommend it. And don't forget to stop by Enchanted Forest, the weird theme part in Oregon.

No comments: