Sunday, March 23, 2014

License Plate Frames

For a society obsessed with projecting a self-image, I'm surprised by the number of people who don't have a license plate frame that portrays some sort of affiliation. I drive around LA, and most of the license plate frames that I see are the generic frames one gets with a new car - usually the name of the car company or the dealership.

Short one today. Yesterday, I spent some time on the MTR here in HK listing out people on the train, and whether they are using their mobile phone. I don't know if I'll be able to use any of this for my dissertation, but it was a fun exercise. If I were to use it for my dissertation, I would say, for sampling, something along the lines of, it was a random sample of a random part of the train. Perhaps that will work.

Waiting is such an interesting moment. Or series of moments. It's frustrating too, because by definition, waiting is when the person who waits is waiting for something... and he or she is at the lowest point of control over his or her time. After all, one cannot absolutely predict when the waiting time will be over, unless, of course, the waiting is scheduled. And even then, one is at the mercy of the ticking of the clock to determine when the waiting is over. There is an element of expectation here too - the more one can expect, and trust that expectation, the less frustrating the waiting is? This will be interesting to test...

No comments: