Wednesday, August 19, 2009

...and we're surprised about gender roles?

Two posts about gender roles in a row! WTF? But I thought this thought was worth sharing.

I was at Toys R Us with my mom today, looking for a gift for a 4 year old girl. Naturally, we wanted to pick something that would noodle the brain a little, and opted for Legos or K-nex or something like that. When we got to the Legos section, I wanted to look for something a little bit more girly - or at least something that didn't look so blatantly...tractor-ish. You know, the "let's build a tractor!" type of toy. They also had sci-fi stuff like Star Wars, medieval castle/war-type themes going on too. Of course, look at what I'm saying - I'm totally playing into the gender roles too by assuming that girls and tractors don't mix.

Herein lies the problem though - the general public (for whom "pink" and "makeup" = girls and "construction" and "cars/vehicles/science fiction" = boys) is going to go straight for the pink toys if they are looking to buy something for a girl. And what's in what I term the "pink" section? Dress-up dolls, housewife, cooking-type toys, putting makeup and accessories on dolls and figurines... in short, nothing that really involves building, creating, putting things together, etc. What message is that sending to young kids?

No comments: