Sunday, May 03, 2009

About Elly

I went to see the Best Narrative Feature winner at the Tribeca Film Festival today - About Elly. It's an Iranian(!) film about, well, about a family dealing with a situation in which they find themselves. Completely in Farsi (I think), with a fairly large cast of characters that makes it confusing in the beginning a bit. We stood outside in the rain for the better part of a hour for rush tickets. SO WORTH IT. Don't want to spoil it, but I can definitely say it's one of the best films I've seen in a while. Good films make you feel, make you relate to the characters, make you put yourself in their shoes. The movie itself was pretty long - a little over two hours, I think. It didn't feel that way at all.

Hope it gets distributed widely in the US (though that will probably not happen, for reasons I won't put here, since my bed is calling my name - perhaps it will end up on What Good Is My Brain?) so I can get the DVD. :) Ok, you KNOW it's a good film if I'm looking forward to the DVD even before the film is released in theatres.

No comments: