Friday, December 19, 2008

The heart and soul of the Scoobies

As most of you know, I'm a huge fan of Buffy. I wrote Buffy into I think 4 or 5 papers this semester. Anyway, I've been doing something I haven't done in about 4 years - I'm watching all of Buffy again, but I'm doing it in reverse, starting with Season 7. It's amazing that even after so many years, Buffy still speaks to me, and, if possible, I feel even more profoundly about the characters and their situations today than I did back in college.

I just finished Into the Woods, the episode where Riley leaves, and Xander just has some beautiful lines at the end of it. This is from show transcript.

XANDER: (angrily) If you don't wanna hear what I have to say, I'll shut up right now.
BUFFY: Good, 'cause I don't.

XANDER: I lied. See, what I think, you got burned with Angel, then Riley shows up.
BUFFY: I know the story, Xander.
XANDER: But you miss the point. You shut down, Buffy. And you've been treating Riley like the rebound guy. When he's the one that comes along once in a lifetime. (Buffy looks dismayed) He's never held back with you. He's risked everything. And you're about to let him fly because you don't like ultimatums? If he's not the guy, if what he needs from you just isn't there, (shakes head) let him go. Break his heart, and make it a clean break. But if you really think you can love this guy ... I'm talking scary, messy, no-emotions-barred need ... if you're ready for that ... then think about what you're about to lose.


Then, the second to last scene (after Riley flies away) - Xander and Anya...

XANDER: I've gotta say something...'Cause ... I don't think I've made it clear. I'm in love with you. Powerfully, painfully in love. The things you do ... the way you think ... the way you move ... I get excited every time I'm about to see you. You make me feel like I've never felt before in my life. Like a man. (Pause. He shrugs uneasily) I just thought you might wanna know.


And the scene after Dawn realizes that she's not a Potential in Season 7...

DAWN
What's up?

XANDER
Aw, I'm just thinking about the girls. It's a harsh gig, being a potential. Just being picked out of a crowd, danger, destiny, plus if you act now, death.

DAWN
They can handle it.

XANDER
Yeah. They're special, no doubt. The amazing thing is, not one of them will ever know, not even Buffy.

DAWN
Know what?

XANDER
How much harder it is for the rest of us.

DAWN
No way. They've got—

XANDER
Seven years, Dawn. Working with the slayer. Seeing my friends get more and more powerful. A witch. A demon. Hell, I could fit Oz in my shaving kit, but come a full moon, he had a wolfy mojo not to be messed with. Powerful. All of them. And I'm the guy who fixes the windows.

DAWN
Well, you had that sexy army training for a while, and—and the windows really did need fixing.

XANDER
I saw what you did last night.

DAWN
Yeah, I— I guess I kinda lost my head when I thought I was the slayer.

XANDER
You thought you were all special. Miss Sunnydale 2003. And the minute you found out you weren't, you handed the crown to Amanda without a moment's pause. You gave her your power.

DAWN
The power wasn't mine.

XANDER
They'll never know how tough it is, Dawnie, to be the one who isn't chosen. To live so near to the spotlight and never step in it. But I know. I see more than anybody realizes because nobody's watching me. I saw you last night. I see you working here today. You're not special. You're extraordinary.

No comments: